For many individuals, accepting change in their personal and professional lives is oftentimes a difficult proposition. Yet change is inevitable; it is the only thing that is constant in our world. Whether it is in your personal life or your professional life, you can anticipate changes that you will have to adjust to.
However, accepting change is not a popular idea and we typically oppose or resist it. People are reluctant to step out of their comfort zones because they get attached to old habits and their lifestyles. This makes it difficult to achieve our goals.
Why are People so afraid of Change?
Even though you may want to control your own destiny, making changes in your life may be so intimidating that you will end up settling for less or doing nothing at all. There are 6 reasons why so many people are afraid of change including:
Agonizing over certain decisions because you feel isolated:
-Clinging to those perks, possessions, and statuses that you have acquired along the way
-Doubting yourself and feeling that you are not up to the challenge of making changes
-Fear of the unknown and being reluctant to take any chances
-Focusing too much on the external world around you instead of yourself
-Overlooking the fact that there are always options available
It’s important to remember that you never have to settle for what transpires when making changes in your personal and professional life. When you have enough confidence to act in the face of your fears about change, it gives you a sense of control. Ultimately, it will provide you with a purpose in life.
10 Benefits of Change
Conversely, the person who is willing to gamble and embrace change has a greater chance of achieving success in their personal and professional lives. Whether it is in your personal life or in your professional life, there are 10 benefits of change to be aware of:
1) Flexibility – frequent change enables us to adapt to new environments, new people, and new situations.
2) Improvements – without change, nothing improves by itself. Therefore, there would be no improvements in our finances, homes, and incomes without change.
3) Life values – when you are open to change, you see things in your life differently and have an easier time of re-evaluating your life. Sometimes, this enables you to reinforce your life values.
4) New beginnings – change is about closing one chapter in your life and opening another. New beginnings arise and life becomes more exciting.
5) Opportunities – when you adapt to change in the workplace or make changes in your personal life, you will find that different opportunities present themselves. In many cases, change provides you with choices that bring about fulfillment and happiness.
6) Personal growth – every time change occurs, you have an opportunity to grow and learn. You discover insights into your life and certain aspects of it.
7) Progress – certain aspects of our personal and professional lives develop and improve as change has a way of triggering progress.
8) Routine – without change, your life would be routine. It would be dull, predictable, and very uninteresting without it.
9) Snowball effect – when we attempt to make big, immediate changes we oftentimes give up because we feel like we just can’t do this. It is during times like this that making smaller changes can become very important. Making these smaller changes can result in the bigger, desired change or goal.
10) Strength – unfortunately, change sometimes leads us to unpleasant times in our lives. When you overcome these difficult periods, you grow stronger as a result.
In addition to the above, change accommodates personal and professional growth and helps us to address specific problems at home and at work while staying up to date on market trends and technological advancements. Although change may seem inconvenient at the time, it has a way of bringing about benefits in a company setting such as bringing attention to it. Some changes enable companies to attract higher caliber job candidates such as changing their pay and benefit structure.
10 Tips for dealing with Change
1) Be flexible – you improve your chances of succeeding by being flexible and adapting to change. Take a look at what is required of you in these new circumstances after changes have been implemented in your professional life.
2) Communication is imperative – this is especially true when you are facing change. Effective communication has a positive impact while the lack of it has negative consequences.
3) Continue with your work as usual – corporate reorganizations are never any fun. It’s easy to have a bad attitude when changes are implemented in the workplace since you don’t know if the work you are doing will continue being important.
4) Envision the big picture – realize that the goals of making change are usually beneficial. The sooner you see the big picture, the better off you will be.
5) Maintain your network of contacts – whether external or internal, your network of contacts can be invaluable. They can be a sounding board and share their experiences regarding change.
6) Perform self-assessments – when planning for the future, many companies will analyze the opportunities, strengths, threats, and weaknesses in order to determine what they need to improve on. Self-assessments also help individuals determine their strengths and weaknesses while showing you where you need to improve.
7) Realize that change is inevitable and is the only aspect of our lives that is constant – as we grow older, we experience change in our personal lives. Why should it be any different in our careers and professional lives?
8) Recognize the stages of change – these include shock, denial, guilt, anger, and moving on. In some way, the stages of change resemble the stages of grief over the death of a loved one.
9) Stay alert for subtle clues in your surroundings – try to listen in on the rumor mill at work. Are there meetings occurring that you are not invited to? Is your boss acting distant towards you? Realize that change is desirable but also recognize when it is happening in your surroundings.
10) Stay positive – keeping a positive attitude during change will enable you to handle the uncertainties that come with it.
READ MORE: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2015/01/10-ways-embrace-changes-personal-professional-life.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=ZootRock&utm_campaign=%40MurrayNewlands&utm_keyword=ZootRock